The Chancellor’s statement to Parliament on 25 November included an announcement that Defra’s budget for 2021/22 was increasing by almost £1 billion. This increased budget:
- Ensures total farm support in England of £2.415 billion in 2021/22 to meet the government’s manifesto commitment to maintain the current annual budget to farmers.
- Provides more than £90 million for the Nature for Climate Fund.
- Increases funding in National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Provides exceptional multi-year provision for flood and coastal defence.
- Ensures funding for fisheries is maintained in line with the government’s manifesto commitment in 2021/22.
- Provides support to implement flagship Environment Bill measures including biodiversity net gain for development, creating new legally binding environmental targets, and the Office for Environmental Protection.