High Speed Two (HS2) is a new high speed railway that will link London to Birmingham and Manchester, the East Midlands and Leeds. Phase One of the project links London with the West Midlands.
Main civils construction work for Phase One is due to commence at the beginning of 2019 and the delivery of the first trains for infrastructure testing will take place in 2024. The first passengers will travel on HS2 in late 2026.
The construction of the line is likely to cause considerable disruption for Warwickshire residents who either live near the construction works or who travel through the affected areas on a regular basis. To keep informed of road closures, HS2 drop-in sessions and other updates please visit this page on a regular basis.
1. Notice is given of significant impact on residents of Southam and surrounding villages due to road closures near to the Long Itchington Wood tunnel due to the installation of an electricity supply for the machine to bore the tunnel. The roads affected include the B4552 outside Harbury, Bascote Heath village and a section of the Welsh Road.
2. From 9 September – December contractors will put temporary traffic lights and lane closures in place along the A429 Coventry Road/Kenilworth Road to help safely prepare for an HS2 worksite.
3. Cryfield Grange Road will be closed Monday to Friday 9.30am – 3.30pm from 23 September – January 2020 to allow for vegetation clearance.
4. Bockendon Road will be closed Monday to Friday 9.30am – 3.30pm from 30 September – June 2020 to allow for an access point to be created.
5. Keep up to date with all the work taking place around Stoneleigh, Ashow, Burton Green and Kenilworth on this page.
DROP-IN SESSIONS/ENGAGEMENT EVENTS
Drop in sessions at Offchurch, Cubbington, Hampton in Arden, Burton Green, Harbury, Stoneleigh, Weston under Wetherley and Kenilworth are being held during September and October. Visit this page for full details.
Meetings on the design of the Burton Green tunnel are being held on:
- Saturday 26th October 2019, 12pm – 4pm, Burton Green Village Hall, Hodgetts Lane, CV8 1PH
- Monday 28th October 2019, 5pm – 8pm, Burton Green Village Hall, Hodgetts Lane, CV8 1PH
HS2 Woodland Fund
The Woodland Fund is open to applications from landowners located within 25 miles of the Phase One route of the high speed railway. The fund aims to help local landowners create new native, broad leaf woodlands, especially where they connect or expand existing ancient woodland or connect semi-natural open habitats. It also provides financial support for the tree planting and associated items needed to protect them – this includes fencing and gates, as well natural flood management items.
To find out more about the Woodland Fund and how to apply you can visit the Forestry Commission website by clicking here
Countdown to delivery of first trains for testing
Review of HS2
The government is launching a review of high-speed rail link HS2 – with a “go or no-go” decision by the end of the year, the Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has said. It will consider whether and how the project to connect London, the Midlands and northern England should proceed. The review will be chaired by Douglas Oakervee, a civil engineer and former chair of HS2 Ltd. A final report will be sent to the government in the autumn.
An update of work that will and won’t be taking place in Warwickshire this autumn and winter can be read here.
"The Hub helps to inspire its Members to do something different, to embrace change and learn from each other."
Warwickshire Rural Hub Chairman
Would you Like to
Donate to the Hub?
A donation to the Hub of any amount is always gratefully received. However, it is only donations of over £100 that can be acknowledged on the Hub website as a Champion. A donation can be given to the Hub by cheque, bank payment, standing order or by the Paypal Link Below.
The Warwickshire Rural Hub CIC
c/o Pleasance Farm
Registration No: 7026157
Registered office: 23 West Bar Street, Banbury, OX16 9SA
Rural Hub Co-ordinator
Tel: 07780 159291
Warwickshire Rural Hub CIC Directors
Henry Lucas (Hub Chairman)
Graham Collier (Hub Deputy Chairman)
Hub Steering Group Members
Luke Ryder, NFU
Mark Dickin, Ellacotts Accountants
Tom Newbery, Highfield Farm
Alexandra Robinson, Wright Hassall LLP
Jef Tuyn, Agricultural Consultant
Matt Willmott, King's Seeds
Jon Slee, Abbey Farm
The Warwickshire Rural Hub accepts no liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss arising from any action taken in reliance on the information contained on this website.
© 2018 Warwickshire Rural Hub. All rights reserved.