& Funding


& Regulation




& Safety

Warwickshire Rural Hub

Legislation & Regulation

The Agricultural Census for 2021

Defra will be sending details about this year’s agricultural census to all active commercial farms in England.  Completion is mandatory and this can be done either online or via paper form.  All farmers are encouraged to respond within two weeks of receiving the information.  The 2021 census will capture detailed information on land use, crop areas, livestock numbers and the farm labour force.  The data collected provides the government, farming industry, policy makers and stakeholders with the necessary information about agriculture to help plan future policies and priorities. The data is also used to enable research and investment in the industry, as well as to monitor environmental changes and the wider impact of farm activities.

New regulations for selling firewood for domestic use

As from 1 May 2021 there are new rules for selling firewood for use in domestic heating appliances in England.    You can only supply or sell wood fuel in volumes of less than 2 cubic metres if it is certified as ‘Ready to Burn’. This confirms it has a moisture content of 20% or less.  The Ready to Burn certification scheme applies to:

  • firewood in single retail bags
  • firewood supplied as a bulk delivery in loose volumes of less than 2 cubic metres
  • wood briquettes in single retail bags
  • wood briquettes supplied as a bulk delivery in loose volumes of less than 2 cubic metres

If you’re a small-scale wood producer who supplied less than 600 cubic metres of wood between 1 May 2020 and 30 April 2021, you’ll have until 1 May 2022 to comply with the new Ready to Burn certification scheme.  Read more on this page.  

Cross Compliance in 2021

You must meet all of the cross compliance rules throughout the whole year to receive all of your rural payments.  The RPA is removing duplication with existing guidance about some of the cross compliance rules. They are doing this by outlining the cross compliance rules and then linking to the detailed rules themselves on GOV.UK and other websites.   There are also some changes to how cross compliance runs. These includes inspections and enforcement actions the RPA will take if you do not meet the rules.

To read the Cross Compliance rules for 2021 please visit this page.

To read the changes to Cross Compliance for 2021 please visit this page.  

Updated information on riparian rights

Updated information on your responsibilities and rules to follow for watercourses on or near your property, and permissions you need to do work around them, have been placed on the website. Visit the link below to view the information.

Website: Open Website

Warwickshire re-classified as fully in the Edge Area for TB

Following a public Defra TB consultation held in 2016, and an informal consultation held in October 2017, Defra has announced enhanced cattle measures in the Edge Area; which will take effect from January 2018.
The changes from January 2018 include re-classification of Edge Area counties. The following part Edge, part High Risk Area split counties will be re-classified as fully in the Edge Area
Warwickshire and Oxfordshire
East Sussex, Derbyshire and Cheshire

Contact: None
Telephone: None
Email Address: None
Website: Open Website

Reminder on water abstraction licences

If your current water abstraction licence is due to expire, and you want to continue to abstract, you need to apply for a new licence at least 3 months before the existing licence expires.
For more information on applying for a water abstraction licence, please visit the website below.

Contact: None
Telephone: None
Email Address: None
Website: Open Website

Dewlap tags

Please be reminded that Dewlap tags, which are inserted through the dewlap of cattle, are legally classed as a mutilation (Animal Welfare Act 2006). Using the dewlap tag is therefore illegal and if farms are found to be using these tags at an RPA or APHA inspection it will be considered a rectifiable breach and will incur a penalty.

Would you Like to

Donate to the Hub?



A donation to the Rural Hub of any amount is always gratefully received. However, only donations of over £100 can be acknowledged on our Hub Supporter's page.  A donation can be paid by cheque, BACS, standing order or by the Paypal link below.  If you would like our bank details please contact the Co-ordinator on 




Contact Us

The Warwickshire Rural Hub CIC
c/o Pleasance Farm, Kenilworth
Warwickshire, CV8 1PR

Tel: 07780 159291

Company Registration No: 7026157
Registered office: 23 West Bar Street, Banbury, OX16 9SA


Hub Chair

Henry Lucas




Jane Hampson

Tel: 07780 159291


Warwickshire Rural Hub CIC Directors

Henry Lucas (Chair)
Graham Collier (Deputy Chair)
Rosemary Collier
Amy Brant
Karen Ellis
Carrie Robbins
Alexandra Robinson



Hub Steering Group Members

George Bostock, NFU
Andrew Cook, Farmer
Mark Dickin, Ellacotts Accountants
Emlyn Evans, Squab Hall
Marcus Faulkner, Sheldon Bosley Knight
Tom Newbery, Highfield Farm
Alexandra Robinson, Wright Hassall LLP
Matt Willmott, King's Seeds



The Warwickshire Rural Hub accepts no liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss arising from any action taken in reliance on the information contained on this website.

© 2018 Warwickshire Rural Hub. All rights reserved.